Forum OPTYKA OKULAROWA I OPTOMETRIA Strona Główna OPTYKA OKULAROWA I OPTOMETRIA
Forum dla studentów optyki okularowej, optometrii i optyki widzenia

POMOCPOMOC   FAQFAQ   SzukajSzukaj   RejestracjaRejestracja 
 ProfilProfil   Zaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomościZaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomości   ZalogujZaloguj 

Hurricane Harvey’s Business Implications

Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu    Forum OPTYKA OKULAROWA I OPTOMETRIA Strona Główna -> BEZPŁATNE BADANIE WZROKU DLA EMERYTÓW< PRACOWNIKÓW I STUDENTÓW POLITECHNIKI WROCŁAWSKIEJ
Zobacz poprzedni temat :: Zobacz następny temat  
Autor Wiadomość
setu2525

PostWysłany: Czw Gru 07, 2023 10:59    Temat postu: Hurricane Harvey&#8217;s Business Implications Odpowiedz z cytatem

Hurricane Harvey is the first major hurricane (Category 3 or higher) to hit the US since 2005. The storm has claimed 10 lives, caused millions in property damage and has cut power to hundreds of businesses, with far-reaching economical affects. As of yesterday, there were still 280,000 without power in the coastal and Houston areas of Texas, with utility companies saying it could be potentially be weeks before power is fully restored. (A power outage map can be found here and below.) According to greentechmedia.com, in the south Gulf Coast, utility AEP is predicting that it could take until midnight Wednesday to bring power back to 95% of its Corpus Christi and Sinton area customers. The rest of its territory isn’t expected to come back on-line until Saturday. As for the coastal cities of Rockport, Port Aransas, Fulton, Woodsboro, Port Lavaca, Lamar and Bayside, where the storm’s damage was most severe, there is no timeline. AEP has 2,000 of its personnel working, and they have been joined by 3,000 more from other states.

CenterPoint Energy, which services the Houston area, uses a smart meter network that automatically keeps the utility up to date on which customers are currently without power. Though the smart meters take away the need for customers to report outages, they don’t help in restoration of power. Businesses in the affected areas have begun staging resources outside of the threat zone. This way, workers can continue to deliver Job Function Email List services as needed — to a certain extent, of course. According to accuweather.com, small and medium-sized companies that suffer extensive or catastrophic damage will face many challenges recovering from a storm like Harvey. The weather site’s analytics show that more than half a million businesses are in the area that will be impacted by Harvey, a large number of which are in health care, education, hospitality and the food services industries.At 6 pm Eastern Time on Thursday, around 184,000 customers were still without power in Texas and Louisiana, the Edison Electric Institute reported.

In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, the association representing all US investor-owned utilities says that progress is being made to restore power. In the places where flooding isn’t an issue, utility crews have been able to quickly and safely get the electricity flowing again. “In many other areas, weather conditions and damage are preventing crews from getting to the hardest-hit or most flooded areas,” the EEI says. Utilities in the impacted areas aren’t going it alone, though. Crews from at least 21 states have come to assist electric companies, and more than 10,000 workers are currently dedicated to restoring power, according to the EEI. As EEI points out, electric companies have detailed plans for restoring electricity following storms. Usually the utility makes sure that no power is flowing through the downed lines, and then proceeds with restoration based on established priorities. Today CenterPoint Energy said on Twitter that it had completed more than 842,000 restorations in the past week so that 98.92% of customers currently have power.
Reklama

Wysłany: Czw Gru 07, 2023 10:59    Temat postu:

Powrót do góry
Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu    Forum OPTYKA OKULAROWA I OPTOMETRIA Strona Główna -> BEZPŁATNE BADANIE WZROKU DLA EMERYTÓW< PRACOWNIKÓW I STUDENTÓW POLITECHNIKI WROCŁAWSKIEJ Wszystkie czasy w strefie CET (Europa)
Strona 1 z 1
Skocz do: